Sunday, January 22, 2012

With Love for Cardabilities

It's the eve of the Chinese New Year! Looking forward to a yummy reunion dinner tonight with my in laws. My son will enjoy all the attention from the grandparents, and this year is extra special as we now a new addition; my little niece who is 3 months old and joining the reunion dinner for the first time! :D Well, even though the reunion dinner is a big and happy event, there's always a poignant nostalgic feeling in me when this day comes. Why? Well, in our Chinese custom, once a daughter is "married out", she will no longer join her own family for the annual feast, like for forever. I'll always remember those rowdy crazy and fun dinners at my mum's place with her maternal family, all the uncles and aunts and cousins will come together and turn the house upside down! I enjoy reminiscing those busy afternoons spent with my dear mum preparing food, cooking and decorating the house. At times we even experimented new dishes to show off to the folks hehehe :D My in-laws on the other hand, don't cook at home so we eat at a restaurant, the food is wonderful no doubt but it lacks that raucous merriment and uninhibited chaos of a home setting. Sigh. Anyway, as long as the old folks are happy I guess. Here's where I envy my Chinese girlfriends who are not married to Chinese husbands, they still get to spend the reunion feast with their own families.

Anyway, enough ramblings for the day... here's a little something for the upcoming V Day; using Sketch #47 from Cardabilities. I made this simple 6' x 6' card with some old American Crafts Romance papers bought at a clearance bargain from a LSS *heehee* There are basically lots of fussy cutting here with some liquid pearls and gem accents.








Thanks for looking! If you're Chinese, part-Chinese or part of a Chinese family somehow, have an awesome reunion dinner tonight! See you again after the Lunar New Year celebrations! XOXO

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful sweet card you have made!
byebye,Lean...happy new year!

Amelia Khalik said...

Happy New Year Marina! I hope u will have a good gathering with the in laws. Awesome card like always, love all the fussy cut! :)))

StephC said...

Wow, your card is absolutely gorgeous! The colors are SO fantastic, and all of the "fussy cutting" just makes it really awesome. Fabulous take on the sketch. So glad you joined us at Cardabilities!

Happy New Year! :)

BrendaB said...

Such a pretty card! I love the scattering of hearts! Thanks for joining us at Cardabilities.

Gayle Price said...

Beautiful card, so much pretty detail. xx

Sabrina Scrapbook said...

Hi Marina!! Hope you had a wonderful dinner last night :) I am aware of the fact that daughters will not join their own family for the dinner, but guess it will still be fun, right? =) Happy Lunar New Year to you!

And yeah, your brown card is so beautifully designed and made! Loving those pearl dots, awesome!! Wonderful work, hope to bump into you one day at Bangsar? No? Perhaps one day ;)

Sam said...

Hi Marina,

Gong Xi Fatt Cai to you too! this is my first year of not having reunion dinner with my parents as I just got married last year. Love your card with the awesome details, layering, liquid pearls and fussy cutting! I *heart* fussy cutting =) What a good way to utilized scissors.

Karan Gerber said...

such a beautiful card, love the colours and those hearts! thank you for joining in with us oover at Cardabilities!

Blossom inch said...

very nice card babe!

Mruk said...

Beautiful, I love the colours and layers of hearts, I like your card a lot :)
Thanks for playing along at Cardabilities.

scrapdictive said...

Happy New Year, Marina! I hope you had a good gathering with your in laws ;)
I think your card looks great. I love the color combo you've used. Thanks for joining us at Cardabilities!

Jessy Christopher said...

Loving the hearts overload!! Perfect for V-day :)

Dena J said...

Love the rich brown paired with the traditional reds/pinks. The scattering of liquid pearls is gorgeous! And happy new year. You wrote quite eloquently - I miss the big family gatherings of my youth as well. How blessed we are to have those memories. Thank you for sharing.

sandi said...

Oh how cute! Love it!

Janetcraft said...

Hi Marina, thanks for dropping by....with nice comments, take care!

Anonymous said...

Marina.. love your hearts card.. So full of fun hearts.. Congrats on being featured at Cardabilities.. :)
Happy New Year to you!!!

Post a Comment

Your wonderful comments are much appreciated. Thanks for brightening my day!

 

Copyright © Myscrapspiration 2011 | All rights reserved | Blog Design by Krafty Palette.